Archive DNA profiles

Dallan, just so you are aware of it, the profile overload problem also keeps McGuire charts from loading.

I believe it. We have to load all profiles in order to display the McGuire charts. This is another reason to add the notion of “archived” profiles.

1 Like

So, selecting profiles to “activate” vs “archive” would have a lot of value. I think for each parent I would then keep 2 trees (duplicate) using one for maternal kits and the other for paternal kits. this would keep both sides of tree in view for the rare crossover matches etc . So 4 trees divides the ancestry kits i currently have accsss to related to mom to about a dozen per line. Some of those will have gedmatch, ftdna or mh versions. I probably would not keep more than a handful active at a time if the process for checking kits in and out of the archive were speedy enough. Tactically, the question of which kits have the most links would be prioritized for activity since those tree assignments will be inherited. If match kit x tree keys could be separated enough to lose all the ICW data they would load a lot faster. currently it takes forever to map a match. It makes me imagine a sort of speedy Meta-overview for tree assignments ala mcquire. in other words the current mcguire chart keeps all the links live but if the “conclusions” were separated from the “dna proofs” then the mcquire chart for a line coulld be optonally refreshed when an associated profile changes and maybe a specification for which profiles would need reactivation would both preserve the integrity AND serve the logic of retrieve/reactivate … am i making sense?’

This follows a systematic workflow echoing tree structure where you can limit your view of profile links by side and number of generations…maybe using the fanchart even. I’ve been reflecting on how this approach interacts with questions related to phasing the chromosome view which would lend themselves to associating kits across platforms for same persons.

You can now mark some of your DNA profiles as “archived”, which means they don’t get loaded into your browser and take memory. This was implemented awhile ago but I’m just now marking it closed.