Are we able to combine or merge 2 trees into one?

OK, that sounds like it might be workable. I won’t be uploading a gedcom - this is research from scratch. An example of the issue that I will encounter.
In the 1851 UK census I find two Scamp families, Peter’s family & Robert’s family. I have no evidence that they are closely related so I set them up as two separate trees and continue researching their descendants. Further research then finds that they are brothers, so I would want to merge their two trees.

1 Like

If all goes well i’ll have an initial version of tree merge out by the end of the week. Then you can give it a try to see what you think. I’ll post something here when I do.

Thank you Dallan, Impressive

I have a beta version of tree merging up and running. Beta means that it’s been tested, but not extensively. Please give it a try and let me know what you think. To start, you may want to merge trees that aren’t your primary tree in case something goes wrong. (It shouldn’t, but just in case.)

Here’s how to use it:

• Open the tree you want to merge into.
  • Click on “Tree Settings” in the left-hand menu, and scroll down to “Import another tree into this tree”.
  • Choose the tree you want to merge into this tree.
  • You’ll be shown a list of people in both trees. The people in the other tree will be on the left; the people in this tree will be on the right.
  • If there are duplicates in the two trees, they need to matched. Do this by clicking on the “+” button across from the person in the other tree, and select the person in this tree to match them to.
  • When you have matched all of the duplicates, select the people from the other tree that you want to replace matching people in this tree or be added to this tree.
  • Finally, click on the “Import Selected People” button at the top of the page.

Caveat: media aren’t copied between trees. Everything else should get copied across.

1 Like

I FINALLY FOUND MY CONNECTION :smile: I am ready to merge my trees now. I noticed the Caveat that media isn’t copied over when merging a tree. What about notes & To Do’s? & sources? Has anyone done this yet?

I haven’t had anyone tell me that they’ve used it yet, but merging should include notes, todos, and sources. Let me know if you have any other questions.