Hints selected in Hint Settings - then deselected all - but still sitting in Hints list

I am building a small tree for a friend and I turned on all of the Hint settings except FamilySearch. The hints started to appear but I then decided to turn them off again. I untagged all the option - hit Save and I selected the YES option to remove the hints that had already been gathered but they are still there. What have I done wrong? How do I remove all these hints.

Just turned off hints for my main tree and the same thing has happened all the hints are still showing on Dashboard - Hints and ToDos and individual profiles.

When you clicked YES to remove the hints, they should have been deleted. I will look at that tomorrow.

I just tried it and it worked for me - the hints were deleted. Can you open a new browser tab and try it again? Check the boxes to sign up for hints, hit “Save”, then uncheck them and hit “Save” again. Select “Yes” to delete the hints. Next, right-click anywhere on the screen, select “Inspect”, then select the “Console” tab in the new window that appears on the screen. You should see some messages about hint deleting. Email me (support at rootsfinder.com) what you see in the “Console” tab. That should help us get to the bottom of this.

Thanks

Hi Dallan

Tried that and all the hints are still there - here is the console log - running Chrome on iMac

adservice.google.co.uk/adsid/integrator.js?domain=www.rootsfinder.com:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT
adservice.google.com/adsid/integrator.js?domain=www.rootsfinder.com:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT
VM23 home:1 Mixed Content: The page at ‘Free Family Tree’; was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure image ‘http://public.rootsfinder.com/users/avatars/9/9793’;. This content should also be served over HTTPS.
onloadwff.js:71 Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property ‘querySelectorAll’ of null
at e. (onloadwff.js:71)
at l (onloadwff.js:71)
at Object.next (onloadwff.js:71)
at a (onloadwff.js:71)
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 graph pedigree personId= 6779773585352229
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 pedigree 6779773585352229
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 before delete Array(8)
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 deleteLeads.keys Array(8)
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 deleteLeads.ids Array(732)
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 after delete
DevTools failed to parse SourceMap: Free Family Tree

I will invite you to this tree "Kenneth Lawrie June 3 2019”

Allan

I’m unsure what’s going on. The console log looks fine. I went into your tree after you invited me to it, and I was able to delete all of the hints.

I’m trying to figure out what the difference might be between my setup and yours. I’m also running on Chrome (on Linux, not Mac, but I have a hard time thinking that’s the problem). Maybe RootsFinder overloaded your computer with all of the network requests (I have a pretty fast network). So I put in some artificial delays before the hint deletion requests.

Hopefully that solves the problem in the future. If you still have problems deleting hints, please let me know.

Thanks Dallan- I’ve now deleted that tree and uploaded a new one. I am not going to add hints to the new tree for the time being. Perhaps when my friend decides he wants to have this as his own private tree he can decide whether he wants to load the hints. He is hunting for his adoptive father at the moment so doesn’t want a copy of this tree appearing on FamilySearch etc.

I’m off on holiday to Naples Florida tomorrow for 10 days so I’m signing off and I will not bother you for a while.

Regards

Allan

It’s no bother at all! I appreciate your patience with me as I try to work these things out. Have fun in Florida!

I’ve just re-written the hint removal when you uncheck a hint source. It should be more reliable and more faster now.

Hi Dallan this is still not working I tried to remove all the hints for a friend’s tree and followed the on screen prompts and all the hints are still there. I’ll invite you to the tree so that you can see the problem.

I unclicked all the Hint boxes in Hint settings - hit Save logged into FamilySearch to confirm removal of the tree. Clicked Yes to remove all the existing hints. Got the please wait prompt.

But when I go back to Hint Settings all the boxes are ticked again! When I go to the tree all the Hint no’s are shown and all the Hints are still sitting in the Hints and To Dos’ section and individual profiles.

I’ve tried this 3 times.

Allan

Argh! I don’t know why it’s still not working for you. I will look into this first thing tomorrow. When this happens to you, if you right-click on the screen, select “Inspect”, then select the “Console” tab, what do you see? Do you see any red text indicating an error? And when the please wait message goes away, do you see any indication of an error?

(I assume you’ve opened a new tab recently to ensure you have the latest update. It’s been a week so it seems like a safe assumption, but just checking.)

I found another problem when deleting a large number of hints. I tested the fix by deleting the Findmypast, American Ancestors, Rootspoint, and OpenArch.nl hints from the tree you invited me to. It worked. Could you please try deleting the rest of the hints from that tree? I apologize for this taking so long.

Hi Dallan I’m travelling on the west coast of Scotland until Wednesday so will only be able to. Heck on my phone however I will check when I get home. Thanks

Allan

Allan Mees
22 Duncan Green

Livingston

EH54 8PR

I’m jealous :slight_smile:

All the hints have now disappeared from that tree thanks for your help. I will upload a new version soon and have another go. Allan

here is the console record -

Failed to load resource: net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT
adservice.google.com/adsid/integrator.js?domain=www.rootsfinder.com:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT
VM23 home:1 Mixed Content: The page at ‘Free Family Tree’ was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure image ‘http://public.rootsfinder.com/users/avatars/9/9793’. This content should also be served over HTTPS.
onloadwff.js:71 Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot read property ‘querySelectorAll’ of null
at e. (onloadwff.js:71)
at l (onloadwff.js:71)
at Object.next (onloadwff.js:71)
at a (onloadwff.js:71)
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 graph pedigree personId= 8523263828995635
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 pedigree 8523263828995635
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 before delete Array(6)
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 deleteLeads.keys Array(7)
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 deleteLeads.key FamilySearch Historical Records
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 deleteLeads.key familysearch.org
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 deleteLeads.key Geni
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 deleteLeads.key FamilyTree
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 deleteLeads.key weRelate
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 deleteLeads.key wikiTrees
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 deleteLeads.key gonl
vendor-3ce02236b7.js:161 after delete

Hi Allan, thanks for posting this. The messages before and after this section are nothing to worry about, and this section says that the leads should have been deleted successfully.