Gender shown in the timeline seems to have a bug

My grandfather (OR6-G8Q1-GBDJ) was identified as female in the 1880 census. “Female” is how I entered his gender into Rootsfinder.

The 1900, 1910, and 1920 census show him as male. For these years, “Male” is how I entered his gender into Rootsfinder.

Despite the contrary information in 1900, 1910, and 1920, RootsFinder continued to show only Gender Female in the timeline.

I attempted to patch things up by doing edits under 4. People. This helped, but Gender Female still shows in the timeline, citing the 1910 and 1920 census as sources.

It seems as though RootsFinder uses the first entered (or maybe earliest) event to assign gender and then sticks with that, even when subsequent information is different.

1 Like

Ya that’s a good question!

Thanks for pointing this out. I’ll forward it to the programmers.

I’m sorry for the late reply. I’ve been out on holiday.

Gender appears on the timeline only if it is associated with a source. So if you associate a different gender with a different source, both genders should appear in the timeline, one associated with one source and the other associated with the other source.

On the other hand, if you just edit the person’s profile at the top of the screen and update the gender there, without associating it with a source, that gender won’t appear in the timeline because it doesn’t have a source. (I know, other names and facts from the profile appear in the timeline even if they don’t have sources, but currently gender appears only if it has a source.)

Once you’ve assigned Male to your grandfather in the 1900, 1910, and 1920 censuses, does the Male gender not also appear on the timeline? It should. Could you send me the URL of your grandfather’s page (either by replying here or by sending an email to support at rootsfinder.com)?

Dallan,

The timeline cites the 1880, 1910, and 1920 census as the sources for gender “female.” But I tagged Thomas H Howell as “male” according to both the 1910 and 1920 census.

https://www.rootsfinder.com/tree/18994/people/0R6-G8Q1-GBDJ

Thank you for looking into this.

J. Andreas (Andy) Howell

I see what you’re saying. Yes, that’s definitely a bug. Thanks for sending the URL! I will put it on the docket to fix next week.

The gender issue should be fixed now. You’ll need to edit the evidences that are supporting the wrong gender. You don’t have to make any changes, just edit and save. That should cause the evidence to support the correct gender now.

Yes, works perfectly now. Thank you!:smiley: