Are we able to combine or merge 2 trees into one?

OK, that sounds like it might be workable. I won’t be uploading a gedcom - this is research from scratch. An example of the issue that I will encounter.
In the 1851 UK census I find two Scamp families, Peter’s family & Robert’s family. I have no evidence that they are closely related so I set them up as two separate trees and continue researching their descendants. Further research then finds that they are brothers, so I would want to merge their two trees.

1 Like

If all goes well i’ll have an initial version of tree merge out by the end of the week. Then you can give it a try to see what you think. I’ll post something here when I do.

Thank you Dallan, Impressive

I have a beta version of tree merging up and running. Beta means that it’s been tested, but not extensively. Please give it a try and let me know what you think. To start, you may want to merge trees that aren’t your primary tree in case something goes wrong. (It shouldn’t, but just in case.)

Here’s how to use it:

• Open the tree you want to merge into.
  • Click on “Tree Settings” in the left-hand menu, and scroll down to “Import another tree into this tree”.
  • Choose the tree you want to merge into this tree.
  • You’ll be shown a list of people in both trees. The people in the other tree will be on the left; the people in this tree will be on the right.
  • If there are duplicates in the two trees, they need to matched. Do this by clicking on the “+” button across from the person in the other tree, and select the person in this tree to match them to.
  • When you have matched all of the duplicates, select the people from the other tree that you want to replace matching people in this tree or be added to this tree.
  • Finally, click on the “Import Selected People” button at the top of the page.

Caveat: media aren’t copied between trees. Everything else should get copied across.

1 Like

I FINALLY FOUND MY CONNECTION :smile: I am ready to merge my trees now. I noticed the Caveat that media isn’t copied over when merging a tree. What about notes & To Do’s? & sources? Has anyone done this yet?

I haven’t had anyone tell me that they’ve used it yet, but merging should include notes, todos, and sources. Let me know if you have any other questions.

This happened when I tried to merge a tree. The same person kept on showing up (left size) on every other line on the merging page.

When I click to Import, a pop up says something went wrong and for me to refresh my browser.

I’m sorry it’s been such a long time getting back to you. If you will send me the URLs of the two trees you are trying to merge I will fix whatever is causing the problem. Thank you for your patience.

I just tried this merge and its problematic I’m sorry to say. I check off a number of people to Merge, then click the + to match someone, and all the checks disappear. Then I get an alert and something went wrong. Also, if I click on a person to see who exactly they are, then click “back”, all the checks and matches are gone. When I click just one or two people to merge over, and click Merge, I get an alert that something went wrong.

Thanks for working on this. Its important and I appreciate your dedication.

Hmm, merge was working the last time I tried it. I will look into it.

In the meantime, if you want to review someone during a merge, try control clicking on the link to open it in a new tab. Then you won’t lose the checkboxes.

Hi DallanQ,
I have an oversized family tree. Just over 120,000 names Rootsfinder limited my import. I am trying to figure out a way to import everyone or to merge 2 or 3 trees into 1.

My tree is well sourced. I have DNA matches for whom I am unable to determine a MCRA. I manage over 60 DNA kits and am hoping to use DNA segment matching to steer me to or through my Brick Walls.

That is, I have the DNA kits of cousins [5-8th cousin] that I show via GEDmatch match several exiting people in my database.

I use a database to keep track of my tree. Doing so ensures all place names are EXACT.

Have you any ideas on how I may import a huge, well documented tree?

Hi Dallan

Long time no chat, but my time has come to want to be able to use this feature. I have the same issue as @paulonabuco … Some meaningul matches are identifed but instead of them being between the correct two people an apparently random person appears in the list as the matching person. Any ideas what is happening here?

No idea. I’m out on vacation next week, but I’ll look into it when I return.

Ugh, I forgot about this topic. I think that your best bet is to manually identify the matches that you want to import. It looks like the automatic matching functionality is broken. Here’s a video explaining how to import trees: